Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chili cook off!!

Our ward had a chili cook off and I wanted to be better prepared this time. Last time our chili looked good but it did not taste good. One of the ladies that was in our other ward also worked with BJ so we knew her pretty well. She came in 2nd place at our cook off so BJ called her up and asked if we could use her recipe.


Chicken Chile Verde
 
3 cups cubed, cooked chicken
1 (28 oz)can Green Chile Enchilada sauce
1 (15-19 oz) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
11/4 cups Corn, canned or frozen
1 cup chopped Onions
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh Cilantro
 
1. Combine all ingredients in large pot, bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes.
   10 (1cup) servings.

We bought the stuff and tried it out to see if we could win! Making it made the house smell amazing!!!!!!!! I almost didn't want to take it and share. We made our yummy cake cornbread which didn't turn out that great cuz we used a medium grained. BJ and I both tried a different chili but we liked ours the best. We made the people at our table try ours. Half thought it was too spicy (not spicy at all! they are just white white folks!!) the other half liked it so much that they voted for us. Of course we voted for ourselves. We did like one other chili and they ended up coming in 3rd. Guess who came in 2nd?!

WE DID!!! WE WERE 1ST PLACE RUNNER UPS!!!!!

How's that for only the second attempt at chili!! I guess we will call this our 2nd place recipe! BJ loved it so I'm sure it will come into our weekly meals at some point. When they were announcing the winners they said that number 2 went to chili number 11. I just sat there looking around and BJ said " HEY thats you!! Stand up! You won!!" I was like oh hey that is me! I told them it had never happend to me before and I got 3 boxes of candy! Good thing I didn't give in and buy those exact candies yesterday! Woo hoo!! Thank you Cinde!!!!

No comments: