Monday, December 27, 2010

A very merry Christmas

 I wanted to get a picture of us with on our first Christmas as a married couple by our tree. Man do we look sad. My tummy is sticking out of my shirt. Our eyes look glazed over. Believe it or not this was the best one out of the 5-7 that we took. Oh well. At least we got one right!


Our Christmas was very fun! On Christmas Eve we went to Idaho Falls. One of our friends from the single wards in phoenix lives there and he invited us to his family gathering. I was all for it. We spent the day doing zero. I woke up not feeling that great and after cleaning and unpacking for 3 days I was ready to just sit. BJ played Super Mario 64 and I watched Say Yes to the Dress and Cake Boss all day. Then we headed down to IF (thats what they call Idaho Falls). Nate, the kid we know, has a very regular family tradition. We just sat there and listened to family stories. Dinner was just finger foods so I was ready to head back home and eat real food. As we were trying to say good bye they said we were not allowed to leave. Santa and paid them a visit and we had to stay. So we stayed while they opened their gifts. They do a secret santa so we just watched. Then nate gave BJ a gift. He got some sweet head phones and some guitar picks. My present was a   glass baking dish and they etched Balls onto the back. It is sweet!!! Now if I take it to church things I don't have to write my name on it. I loved it! The also gave the baby a fleece tied blanket. They were all very nice and generous.

BJ ended up being a Christmas spoiler. I bought him a gift back in Arizona and kept it hidden during the entire packing and unpacking process. I had pulled all my receipts out of my purse and was going to go through them later that day. BJ got to them first and saw what I had gotten him. I told him he was a spoiler even though it wasn't his fault. He then felt like he had to buy me something. He made me go sit down and wait until he could buy something at walmart. I also sewed some flannel pjs bottoms for both of us.

BJ told me not to wake up at 3:00 am. He said it would be better to just sleep in. I of course still woke up at 3:09 am and went to look at the tree. There was our same 3 little gifts from my nephew Sam and then a gift to me from BJ. I then pulled out BJ's gift and put them under the tree and went back to bed. We woke up and opened our gifts. BJ said  I should go first. He wrapped up a king size snickers bar and had a note on it. On the back was a clue that led me to the shower. Hanging in the shower was this beauty!
 I forgot to flip it and its blurry but you get the idea. I've been wanting a warm robe but not wanting to spend money on it. He put this note on it.
=]  I love this note. It was better then the gift I think. He is so cute and so sweet! Always looking out for his girls! I love that man! We took turns opening gifts then I set to work making a big breakfast. 

I made waffles and bacon then at the last second I throw some tator sticks in the oven because we didn't have any hash browns. A meal without potatoes doesn't happen either. I'm just a tad addicted to them right now. After we cleaned up breakfast we hung out and watched some Bones. We are both very into that show right now. We waited for it to get warmer then we went and played in the snow. I made BJ put on 2 pairs of pants thick socks and a thermal shirt with his down jacket. He said I was going overboard and said it wasn't that cold. He didn't take a hat but I had my ear muffs on. We went into town (a mile away) and played at Poter park. Its a huge park with trees and play stuff then open fields. We got there and walked through the snow to get to the benches and BJ was already complaining that it was cold. I just laughed. 


We took our marshmallow guns and played for maybe 5 minutes. We ran around the trees shooting each other. BJ kept sucking them back into his mouth. He made so many funny noises that we spent half that time laughing and not playing.That was the most running around I've done since I've gotten pregnant. Usually if I do to much I start to gag but I think she was enjoying it. When we were done she was kicking away at me. She wanted in on the action too!! By that time BJ's ears face and hands were cold so we called it quits. We couldn't wear our snow gloves and put the marshmallows in the guns so it got cold fast. We walked out into the open field where there were some abanded snowmen and we thought we would finish them. The snow was to icy and wouldn't stick together. So we just ate some then headed back to the car. 

We bought a 7lb ham for Christmas dinner. That was the smallest one they had. I love honey ham and was excited to make my first holiday dinner. We needed whip cream for our cheese cake and ran to walmart to find it closed. Who know!? Thankfully  walgreens was open so we grabbed some reddiwhip and headed home. BJ played some more video games while I started the rolls.
Look at these monsters!!! I used my bread maker to make the dough then rolled them and they had to raise for an hour and turned out to be huge!!! They worked out though because they were super tasty and it gave me yummy white bread to eat my ham sandwiches on. I refuse to buy white bread but I love it right now. I've always loved it but right now if its anywhere in the house I will eat half the loaf in one sitting. I wont touch the wheat bread unless I really need bread. Its weird. 

After I made the rolls I set the ham to cook then started on the cheesecake. I also made mashed potatoes. We had peas and cooked carrots for our veggie. The meal was amazing!!! The ham was perfect! It took like 3 hours to cook everything and the kitchen was a mess afterwards but so worth it. I loved it! I had so much fun making the meal and BJ didn't help once. He did end up doing the dishes but I still loved feeling like the mom making all the food. 

After we ate we watched some more Bones then went to bed. My brother in law John bet me that I would cry. I guess Liz, Bj's sister, bawled her eyes out their first Christmas because they lived in utah and nothing was the same. He said that I was going to do the same thing and with being pregnant  I was going to cry all day long. We bet hot coco on it. I told him that I was super excited to just spend the day with my husband and not have any stress with what families house we are suppose to be at or where we need to be or doing everything that is everybodys tradition were that I didn't care for. He still was sure that I was going to get sad because it just wouldn't feel like Christmas or BJ would do something that wasn't right and I would get upset. 

This ended up being one of my most favorite Christmases. As an adult anyways. Last year BJ and I did both family traditions and saw how each of our families celebrate that day. With everyone being older its just not the same as when we were kids. So we were looking forward to just spending the day alone and doing exactly what we wanted. We loved it! Not one tear was shed. I locked myself in the bedroom on Christmas eve finishing one set of the pjs and BJ thought I was making a cute stocking for us. Since I'm set on stocking being something cute that my mom makes and not the socks you hang up for decorations he figured that was what I was doing. Before we got out of bed to open our gifts he asked if I made him a stocking. I sadly sad no. I didn't have time to do the stocking and I didn't think I would be able to not eat all the food I would have put in it so I just didn't do it. He said, " thats ok we are the parents now we don't get stockings." I thought about it and realized mom never did a stocking for her and dad. She would get him M&M's but nothing like our stockings. That made me feel better that I didn't do it this year. I'm the mom now and that means no more stockings for me or BJ. Next year wont have any either since all the baby will be eating is breast milk and maybe some solids but thats ok. Once she is old enough to have foods the cute stocking will get made.

All in all we loved our relaxing Christmas together. I think we might come home for the Thanksgiving season next year but I really enjoy our Christmas so we might do what BJ's sister does and visit after the holiday. Who knows. I just know that I love being the grown up and am excited to have a baby next year to play with!!



No comments: