Monday, February 21, 2011

Cross Country Skiing

 I was tired of being a lame pregnant lady. BYUI offers so many outdoor activities for a really good price. For $10 we got to rent skis, poles, and boots as well as get lessons on how to do it and driven to the park and back. I told BJ I wanted to do. He wasn't sure I would be able to but I said I could do it. Saturday morning we packed up and met over at the school.
 We went up to Harriman State Park. See the parallel lines in the snow? That's where you put your skis and pretty much skate along the lines. Its really hard when the lines disappear and your skis go where they want. Having the tracks is awesome! They have a bunch of cute little cabins you can rent about a mile in. We had lunch in one of them.
 This is the left over from a dead swan. Sad because they are soooo pretty to watch fly over a field of snow with dark green trees as the background.
 Isn't it beautiful!?!? I was pretty much using all my brain power paying attention to my skis so I didn't fall over. If I looked up I had to stop but it was such beautiful day and beautiful scenery.


There was about 11 people on the trip. One of the group leaders stayed with me, bless her heart, and BJ pretty much stayed with me too. He couldn't go as fast as the rest of the group but he was faster then me. 
 He fell over a lot. I tried to tell him to keep his poles in front of him but he just wanted to go fast that he would fall backwards. My back hurt a lot towards the end because I was leaning forward the whole time and the weight of the baby just pulled on my lower back. Its a major hip flexor work out. Both BJ and I were super sore on Sunday. BJ had trouble moving his legs. He was very grumpy in the morning. I hurt but it wasn't too bad. I guess I'm just used to being in pain and uncomfortable. It pretty much was just like being on an elipitcal machine but outside. 

This is a warming hut. You can go in and make a fire and warm yourself up. We got to a MOUNTAIN (really a regular hill) and any kind of incline was super hard for me. The trails were pretty much flat with a few up and down inclines. Once we came to this Hill I wasn't sure I was going to be able to have the energy to keep moving to make it to the top. I started up but couldn't move my skis fast enough to keep the momentum going. I started going backwards and couldn't keep my balance so I fell over for the first time. Thankfully the snow bank was all powder and a lot of it. I couldn't even stand up in the bank because the snow came up to my waist. I had to walk up the hill. We were suppose to do a loop that had a bunch of hills but I knew I wouldn't make it. BJ and the group leader went down the big hills a few times and I sat by the hut. I didn't risk going down the big hill either. I was too worried I'd fall so I walked down it too.
 Don't I look huge in this picture?!!? 
 This was the first hill I got to experience. It was tiny but it still freaked me out. After making it down I really can't wait to try down hill skiing!!
He fell about 10 times the whole day. I only fell over on the hill and I fell once on the trail. I'm so glad I only fell over once. I could not get up it took way to much energy to get my skis off and back on again.

All in all it was an amazing day! I'm so glad we went! Next trip will be snowshoing

2 comments:

Kerri said...

wow, sounds fun. i'm jealous you already got to try it. i'm totally doing it next year no matter what!

Amber Neeley said...

I am so glad you had such a good experience x-country skiing! :) I'll spare you all the details about my first (AND ONLY!!) experience x-country skiing and tell you that it included being stuck in the middle of no where at 2am, in the middle of a blizzard, an asthma attack and a burnt hand! Oh my goodness, it was seriously awful. But you HAVE to try snow skiing next year when your not preggers-SO. MUCH. FUN. I lovelovelove regular skiing. Anyway, like I said, I'm glad you had a good time. Maybe I'll try again, now that I know it can be a happy experience :)