Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Midwives

I've been thinking of switching over to the midwives up here then sticking it out with the doctor that wants to cut me up. But I wasn't sure how to go about doing it, and I felt weird changing doctors yet again.

After talking it over with lots of people I felt justified in at least getting a second opinion. So I had a consultation with one of the midwives today.

As soon as I told her what my doctor said her mouth dropped, she starting shaking her head and said "oh no honey we make sure everyone gives it "the old college try" before we even think of slicing you open". 

We talked for a long time about it and she made me feel so much better that I wasn't going to be putting my child in harms way by wanting to avoid a c-section.

She then asked if she could measure my belly. She had my lay down and felt around for the baby. She told me where the head was and that it wasn't engaged yet. She pointed out her back and where her little booty was (it was what the ultrasound lady said and  the midwife was just feeling my stomach!).

 Then she said "I would guess 5 1/2 maybe 6 lbs." I measured between 35-36 weeks. She looked at me and said " Honey I wouldn't even do an ultrasound on you. You measure spot on and I'm not even worried she would be more then maybe 8 lbs."

I must say I love that lady! She kept looking at me and saying "poor thing to have the doctor scare you like that for no reason!"

She even set it up to where I just signed a paper and they do all the dirty work and I don't have to feel like I'm 5 inches tall and tell them I'm switching. 

Talking to her was the most I've done at any of my doctors appointments. I had more of my questions answered without even having to ask. She also said that the midwives stay with you from active labor until the baby and I are set and able to get some rest. I don't have to worry about talking to nurses I've never seen and be in labor with random people and only see the doctor when I'm pushing. That made me feel a lot better about going into labor. Plus 70% of their patients do natural so they are willing to work with me and help me get through it without meds. 

Thanks to all my sisters and sister in laws for helping get a second opinion. I feel lots lots better now!

1 comment:

Calls said...

and the hallelujah chorus sings

i love midwives and i'm pretty sure you are entitled to flip off that doctor if you ever see him again... which hopefully you never will!

:)