Thursday, February 28, 2013

The "No thank you" rule



When BJ and I first started dating I would always tease him. He was always a good sport but when he got to his limit he would say "Ok No thank you." I would laugh and keep teasing him. He then would get really mad because he said "NO thank you" and that meant I had to stop.

His family rule growing up was you could tease and play with each other but as soon as someone said "NO thank you" you had to leave them alone. I thought that was a silly rule but I guess it worked for 8 kids.

Sad to say but it took me many months and many fights before I started to follow the "NO thank you" rule with BJ. I don't say "NO thank you" to him to get him to stop but he still to this day will say it when he is just done.

I never really realized that I have started to incorporate that rule into our own family. I never really had any intentions to use it until last night when BJ and Rylee were playing.

Rylee didn't get a nap so by 7 she was losing her temper faster then normal. BJ was rough housing with her and she is usually always a good sport about it. Last night it was just too much and while playing Rylee said No daddy! and he kept playing so she broke down in tears. I told him not to scold her and that she didn't have a nap and she came running over to me. I held her and told her to just tell daddy "NO thank you" and he will stop. Through her tears she shook her head and said "No thank you daddy!!" BJ sat up and told her he was sorry and that he would stop.

That's when it I realized that I have told Rylee several times to just tell her daddy "No thank you" when she didn't want him to do something and he would stop. He always stops too. Anytime Rylee says "No thank you daddy" he apologizes and stops whatever it was he was doing and finds something that will make her happy.

I guess the "No thank you" rule isn't as silly as I thought it was. I think it will always be a part of our family just because BJ still abides by it. That's how he was trained. I wonder how it will work with the baby and if the kids will use it the way BJ and his siblings did. Only time will tell I guess.

Oh and Rylee is so into Tinkerbell these days. Mom gave us 2 of the new Tinkerbell's and we watch them all.the.time! This is Rylee and BJ "flying like Tinkerbell" through Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

brad's family has a "no thank you bite" what's with mormons and "no thank you"?