Saturday, May 5, 2012

Garden


The place we moved into has a section of the yard fenced off and a garden already dug and all the tools needed. I have been wanting to try my hand at gardening for a long time. I had one once growing up and didn't know what I was doing. I got like 3 one inch carrots out of it. BJ has been gardening his whole life. My mother in law has an amazing garden and always gets a good harvest.

I started my seedlings inside but I started way to late. They are still inside because the day I started getting them use to the outside sun it snowed. Go figure. So they are back inside trying to keep going. While looking for flowers for my flower bed we came across grown seedlings. SCORE! We planted those so we can at least try and get a real harvest. I'll plant my other seedlings in about a month. We will see which way is better, growing my own seedlings, or buying already grown seedlings.

We planted: a ton of tomatoes both regular and cherry, strawberries, cantaloupe, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and pumpkins.

I think my cucumbers have already died. They might not like the warm then cold weather. My strawberries already have little ones growing though. I really hope my pumpkin produces at least one good size pumpkin to carve come halloween.  My neighbor gave us one of her seedlings that was really strong so we planted that one already. I started another seedling that looks pretty good so I will plant that one soon as well. Arizona has pumpkin patches everywhere to get a pumpkin to carve but up here most people already have harvested by then so you have to go the store for one. That isn't as fun so we really hope we can grow our own from now on!

I love going and looking at it each day. I have noticed that birds pecking around so we need to find some metallic pinwheels to keep them away. We also have little kids come play in the yard everyday and we noticed they were playing around the garden. BJ was pretty upset about it so we bought some locks to keep them out.

Now that I know how to can have the supplies I hope all my tomatoes come in and I can start a real food storage from my own garden. The whole idea just makes me giddy!

No comments: