Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nurse Krystal


I am fulfilling my dream to become a nurse!

I found out on Friday that I could pick up my letter to see if I got rejected or accepted into the BYU-I Nursing program. I didn't get to the office before it closed. I had a whole weekend of what ifs!

Everyone thought the nursing ship had sailed away when I got rejected last year. I thought it had too but it wasn't a real rejection. I didn't meet most of the requirements so it was more of please try again and this time have everything done.

This time around I had finished all the classes I needed and had a 3.9 GPA. (stupid A- ugh)

I had a very serious talk with Heavenly Father about doing the nursing program when I applied back in December. I knew I was a pretty good contender this time around so I left it all up to Him. If I was going to get in, it was because being a nurse is what would be best for my family and what I need to do. 

I was happy with my degree of Early Childhood Development because I found PAT and working with PAT is something I have really wanted to do all along. If He said no to nursing I had my field of study and a way to use it and was okay with that.

There were parts of me that didn't want to get it. It is going to be HARD! I am worried I wont be smart enough a fail out of it. I then have to pass the NCLEX after all the classes. I will spend a ton more time studying then I ever had before. If I make it through then I have to start working and how will that work with Rylee? I felt it better to not have to think about it and not getting in would solve that.

I do however really want to be a nurse. I want the knowledge. I want to help those in need. I want to be able to support my husband while he struggles through school. I want Rylee to see that her mom does things for others and cares for people around us. I also want to feel like being in school was worth the knowledge I have gained. I want to prove to all the dumb statistics that a girl from a low income neighborhood can succeed and did become more that what the numbers show. I want to prove to myself that I have been given talents and that I can utilize them in my life. 

This next year and half is going to be crazy. This semester has already been nuts but we are all doing just fine. I know I married BJ because he will and can support me in everything I do. I know Rylee came to us because she was meant to be in our family and will thrive with me in school and working. 

I'm sure there will days when I don't think I will make it. For now I am working on getting all my paper work in and finishing this semester. I am going to take it one day at a time and before I know it I will be writing about how I am an official RN. 

I am so totally excited once I stop worrying about all the details!

Who knew that I would ever become a NURSE?! So not in my plans as a child! For now just an RN is fine but I am going to work towards being in the maternity ward and help deliver babies. That is like the best job in the world. Maybe someday after Rylee and if other siblings come our way are in school I would love to become a midwife. That is in the way future though so I'll just work on becoming an RN.

2 comments:

gary hebner said...

yea, i'm excited for you. can't wait to be treated by you!

kerri said...

prove that a girl from a low income neighborhood can become something...

i wish i had become something.

i'm still a girl in a low income neighborhood.

do it for both of us!