Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Three down one to go

I made it! I got through the third semester! Everyone says if you can make it to the 4th semester you are golden!

This semester was a whole lot easier then last semester. Class was easier, tests were easier, clinical was more excititng. I must admit I am glad we didn't get another semester as hard as 2nd because I really wasn't feeling it. I don't know what it is like to be pregnant and have nothing to do but I just didn't care about the material we were learning so it made it very hard to concentrate.

Several people have commented that I am lucky I am so good at school. This semester kind of proved that. I really did zero and I will be getting a B- maybe even a solid B. I think the subjects this time around were easier to understand. More patient care instead of diagnosing and figuring out things. We did a lot of group work which made things a lot easier. Clinical were a lot more fun. We got to be all over the hospital instead of just med surg. Picking up the material was easier which meant less study time for me. I studied with some of the other students last semester and at the start we got together again. I did not want to spend that much time studying this time around so I backed out. How I studied, go to class, play on pinterest, write the 20 page study guide out by hand, take test. I got in the 80's on all of my test. 2 other students had the same exact score as me yet they spend hours and hours studying. They prepared for class, took notes during class, went to several study groups then took the test. They all got mad at me when I would get the right answer and I didn't have any great insight into why it was the answer, it just was. Other students worked extermely hard to get a B and I did about nothing. I wonder if I had put in all the time they did if I would be one of the smarties and be getting an A. Eh, I'd rather grow a baby and play with Rylee. I passed and learned a ton actually. This is the first semester I felt I acuatlly learned something and feel competent working with my patients.

Next semester is the one I am looking forward to the most.    OB and peds. I got one shift in the ER and I had several infants patients and I know I do not want to work peds. I am so happy I got one of the two positions for the labor and delivery nursing preceptorships. Ever since Kerri let me be there when Kaci was born I thought being a labor and delivery nurse would be the best job in the world. I can't wait!!!! This semester is going to be the best one yet.

I am going to be huge but BJ will just be working so life wont be too hectic. Come July I will be done. I can take the test to be a registered nurse and be Krystal Balls RN. How nuts is that?! A year ago I was so scared starting the program and now I feel like I really could be a nurse and be just fine. It's been stressful at times but it has been the best learning experience ever.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

go ahead and send me a little of each of your paychecks for guiding you to your amazing career and we'll call it even.

gary hebner said...

love that you are so far along on your journey to be a "RN" i'm very proud of you. stay focus and remember who loves you.......Yea, your sisters... hahahaha