Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Internship

In my Child 310 class we were asked why we picked Early Childhood Development as our major. I thought about it and at first I thought, " Well I like kids. I do well with kids. That's why!" Then I had to dig deeper and I wondered why I did choose to learn about children. 

I realized that the real reason I wanted a bachelors in  this major was because I feel that children deserve the best. If we can enrich their lives early on then we can help them to become more successful and achieve more later in life. We need to give them the best foundation possible. Everyone knows how to play with children but not everyone knows what milestones they should reach when and why and what to do if they don't or how to disciple in the best way. There is no set right way how to raise a child but there is a for sure set way on how to NOT raise a child. I want to help children be able to grow up in happy non abuses homes. It's not enough to just raise my children that way. I want to help my community as well. 

Idaho has a great program called Parents as Teachers. When you have a child they ask if you want to sign up for it. I did and love it! What is it you ask?

http://www.parentsasteachers.org/about/what-we-do is a website that explains it better. Mostly you get home visits each month and someone will bring information on the age of the child to help you better connect, raise, and play with your child. 

I found out that they were doing training here in Rexburg for the first time in 8 years and I could do it as an internship! I get trained in Feburary then I will get 5 families that just had a baby and I get to take information to them each month and help them give their child the best resources that they might not have been able to give them otherwise. 

I am so excited.This is the reason I am still in school. I'm kind of over the whole nursing thing. Mostly because I HATE being away from Rylee the 5 hours I am at school. BJ has been a great help but for some reasons Dad's just aren't as good at the Mom job. He is great with Rylee but can't seem to figure out the whole keeping up with the house part too. I told him since we are both in school and working we needed to split the house work too. He agreed but I still seem to stay up doing everything. I think its funny listening to him say how hard it was to make phone calls with Rylee yelling at him. I think its good that he gets to see why I have been struggling figuring out how to do stuff. He gets it now. I just chuckle when I come home and do the dishes he said he was going to do 2 days ago. At least he will never be the husband that asks what I've done all day =]

2 comments:

Kerri said...

good luck with that internship.

and yes, girls are better than boys!

Hayley Jacob said...

Your internship sounds awesome! seriously!